Photo by Jay Biggerstaff-USA TODAY Sports
Kentucky Basketball

EJ Montgomery To Test NBA Draft Waters

April 19, 2019
340

EJ Montgomery announced Friday morning he intends to enter his name in the draft process and get feedback from the NBA to see where he stands after his freshman year at UK. In his statement, Montgomery states “My goal is to be a first rounder. If the information I receive supports that, my plan is to stay in the draft and pursue my dreams of playing in the NBA.” EJ, by doing this, is doing nothing more than taking advantage of the rules in place and going through the process. John Calipari said, “I think it is smart for him and his family to explore what his options truly are.” Cal also goes on to say he will support EJ’s decision no matter what he decides.

While many fans will no doubt shake their heads with disgust and confusion about why a player who averaged 4 points and 4 rebounds per game would declare for the NBA draft, this is really just about EJ going through the process and getting feedback on what he needs to work on to become a first-round pick. He isn’t listed in any of the current NBA mock drafts. Fans only need to look to their departing 3rd team All-American, PJ Washington, to understand why a kid not projected to be a first round pick would benefit from this decision. PJ improved in the areas he was advised to improve on and turned into a potential lottery pick in his sophomore season. Many have predicted a huge jump for EJ from his freshman to sophomore seasons, much like Washington did this past season.

Players are allowed to hire agents, get feedback, do individual team workouts, and attend pre-draft camps and return to school as long as they withdraw their name by this year’s May 29th deadline. I would expect EJ to get feedback but not attend a camp/combine or do a team workout and return to school after getting the info and evaluation of his stock for this year’s Draft. A player can go through this process twice while they are in college, so EJ can go through this same process again next season. EJ has many skills that he can no doubt improve on in the same way PJ did between his freshman and sophomore seasons, including his outside shot, ball handling, and strength. For someone who projects to one day likely be an NBA draft pick if the necessary improvements are made, going through this process is a very smart and prudent decision at this time.

Discussion from...

EJ Montgomery To Test NBA Draft Waters

Patrick Loney
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
A smart move on his part to get all the information he can get. I don't see him getting that 1st round guarantee.
Patrick Loney
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Him and Nick Richards both made the right decision of getting advice and information on what is needed for them to improve on to be legit 1st round draft pick.
Page 1 of 1