Story Poster
Photo by Team Griffin Basketball
Kentucky Basketball

5-Star Big Man Daimion Collins is a Wildcat

October 31, 2020
367

Earlier this week, John Calipari announced the changes in the coaching staff he made in September to allow each coach to be more specialized. Along with former Kentucky players' success in the NBA bubble, that move has seemed to pay dividends on the recruiting trail. Kentucky has been on a roll on the recruiting trail, locking down its third recruit in the past ten days. Daimion Collins, an uber-athletic, 5-star big man from Atlanta, Texas, committed to the Cats almost two months to the day after receiving his offer.

Collins picked Kentucky over Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas, and Texas Tech. The Texas offer is especially notable considering his relationship with Jai Lucas, a former Texas assistant, was a major selling point for the Longhorns. Lucas and Joel Justus are the main recruiters on the Kentucky staff now, and both of them played a major role in getting Collins to choose the Cats.

As a player, Collins has all the tools you look for in a high-caliber player. Collins is a 6-9 forward who brings the length, athleticism, and shot-blocking ability that Calipari looks for on the defensive end of the floor. While his offensive game is raw, his athleticism and ability to finish above the rim should translate into a rim-running, transition nightmare. He flashes a faceup game for his high school team and handles the ball with regularity, although I doubt either of those will be significant parts of his offensive game at Kentucky. His game has shades of Nerlens Noel, Jerami Grant, Myles Turner, and current Kentucky Freshman Isaiah Jackson.

Collins will benefit from a college strength and conditioning program, as increasing his play strength will only escalate his ability on both ends of the floor. His weight varies depending on where you look, but he is likely around 210 at the moment and should continue to put on weight as his body and play develops.

Overall, his potential on both ends is off the charts. I am not knocking his potential for immediate impact because I believe he is talented enough to come in right away and produce. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if we look up five years from now, and he's reached heights he never reached at Kentucky, given how high his upside is. He is truly one of the highest ceiling prospects in the 2021 class as a whole.

Discussion from...

5-Star Big Man Daimion Collins is a Wildcat

304 Views | 0 Replies | Last: 28 days ago by DowellHarmon
There are not any replies to this post yet.
Page 1 of 0

×
subscribe Verify your student status