Photo by Kentucky Wildcats TV
Kentucky Football

UK Announces Former Wildcat Anwar Stewart as the New DL Coach

January 8, 2020
986

Kentucky recently lost Derrick LeBlanc to Arkansas and had an open spot on staff on the defensive line. Jon Hale of the Courier-Journal first reported Anwar Stewart to be the favorite for the open position. That position has been filled, as the former Wildcat will join Mark Stoops and company after resigning from Appalachian State.

Stewart played at Kentucky from 1996-99, then went on to play a 10+ year career in the Canadian Football League. In 2017, he returned to Kentucky to finish his degree and was on staff until taking the Appalachian State job in 2019. One thing Stoops has talked about so often over his tenure at Kentucky is continuity, especially when it comes to the staff. Stewart played here, coached here, and ran a similar defensive scheme in his lone year at App State.

Stewart is about as close to an in-house hire as they could possibly get. Not to mention, Stewart was working under Eli Drinkwitz, who is now the Head Coach at Missouri. He knows the defensive side of the football and will be a great leader for a super talented defensive line. We will see how he impacts recruiting as well.

Several videos of Anwar Stewart from his playing days at Kentucky, CFL and when he returned to Kentucky in 2017.

Discussion from...

UK Announces Former Wildcat Anwar Stewart as the New DL Coach

825 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Patrick Loney
mrschwump
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Really like this hire! I think Stewart has great potential, could one day blossom into a DC. Question for now is what will be his primary recruiting area? First thought GA/FL but now think TN/GA. Would appreciate your comment. TIA.
Patrick Loney
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
mrschwump said:

Really like this hire! I think Stewart has great potential, could one day blossom into a DC. Question for now is what will be his primary recruiting area? First thought GA/FL but now think TN/GA. Would appreciate your comment. TIA.
That's a great question. I think GA/FL and maybe the Carolinas will be target area for Stewart.
Page 1 of 1