In yesterday’s banter, Keith covered the extremes of derision and hope amongst UK’s gridiron faithful. As the day we gather around odd-necked poultry looms, let’s take stock of our place at the SEC East Football Thanksgiving table: We are not at the head of that table, but we are no longer trying to squeeze our legs under the wonky-legged card table amongst the kiddies either. There may be a grandpa and a couple uncles between UK and carving-the-turkey-glory, but let’s be thankful for what we’ve achieved and where we could be. As with all families, sitting in that prime head seat takes time. Besides, one of those uncles has been drinking lately and the other might be full on drunkle now so…
UK Wins Vs. Troy
- Calipari’s squad took on the Troy Trojans last night. Read our recap here. It’s good to see Kevin Knox continue his upward trend offensively as Hami Diallo takes a few less shots. To this point, he’s taken more shots per game (18.8) than Malik Monk (18.3) last season. Games like these help this new team figure things out on the court, and we all know the key to success this year will be how much they learn between now and March.
- Congratulations to the UK Women’s Volleyball Team, who have reached #1 in the AP Poll!
The new RPI is out, and we think you'll like the No. 1️⃣ team.
— Kentucky Volleyball (@KentuckyVB) November 20, 2017
- The AP Top 25 Poll was released. Kentucky stands at #8 after last week’s loss to Kansas. Duke stays atop the rankings while Michigan State (#4) is replaced by Arizona at #2. Kansas and Villanova round out the top five.
- There’s a lot of movement involving Quarterback recruiting. Read the latest here.
- Senior Linebacker Courtney Love was named a finalist for the for the 2017 Wuerffel Trophy, an award for work done in players’ communities.
- C.J. Conrad, a Junior Tight End, is out for the rest of the year after having foot surgery.
- Bleacher Report released its Super-Early Grades For CBB’s Top Freshman, and Hami Diallo and Kevin Knox made the list, albeit with some room for improvement. Expect to see many on the list shaking hands with that glorious goblin-man Adam Silver next summer.
- In MNF action, the Seahawks and Falcons clashed in the Emerald City. In the end, it came down to a missed field goal as the Falcons left Seattle victorious.
- The College Football Playoff Top 25 will be announced tonight on ESPN at 7:00EST, but don’t expect much change at the top. Each of the top-10 teams won their games last weekend.
- Rick Pitino found time in his “busy” schedule to say he wants to both coach again (for a team that thinks he’s innocent) and “build a different life that doesn’t include coaching.” This is really what Rick is saying:
— Force Control Room (@EPControlRoom) November 19, 2017
- And finally, the London police had to remind fans of English soccer team West Ham, who recently lost to Watford, that 999 (British 911) was for emergencies, not to call and spew their anger towards the team.
Remember fans, it could always be worse. Stay safe out there. Gobble, gobble.
Image from UKAthletics.com, video from YouTube.com